Why EnPLAF Is Better Than PRP Treatment
The difference between Enriched Platelet Factors (EnPLAF) and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) is blood plasma with high levels of platelets – basically a concentrated source of autologous platelets (platelets obtained from the same individual to which it is administered). PRP Treatment has been used broadly in several areas of medicine and aesthetics to alleviate pain, reduce inflammation and initiate healing. The degranulation of platelets in an injury releases the biological factors into the local environment giving the beneficial effect.
However, injection of live platelets present in PRP has several drawbacks:
- PRP injections are painful
- PRP cannot be stored without losing activity and potency. It has no shelf life and therefore must be administered almost immediately upon derivation
- The process of deriving PRP does not have a standardized protocol; it varies from company to company. Therefore the quality and quantity of platelets and thus its biological effects are always variable in currently available PRP
EnPLAF on the other hand is a technology to derive beneficial biological factors from patient’s own blood platelets. Our EnPLAF products are rich in growth factors but do not contain any live cells.
EnPLAF does overcome most of the problems associated with PRP Treatment:
- EnPLAF does not have live platelets, so it is not painful
- It has an excellent shelf life because it has no live cells, just biological factors (proteins)
- It can be stored for long without losing activity
- It can be refrigerated or even frozen for future use
- It retains activity after freeze-thaw, and thus has much better shelf life
- It has higher concentration of factors
- EnPLAF derivation has a standardized protocol for extraction – harvesting a fixed amount of product in each run. Total control. Total reliability
Major differences between PRP treatment and EnPLAF are highlighted in the table below:
|Blood Plasma with Platelets||No Platelets, only Platelet Factors|
|May contain other blood cells (WBC, RBC)||No cells|
|Variable protocol for PRP derivation from company to company||Standardized protocol|
|Painful Injection||Painless Injection|
|Cellular based. Cannot be stored for future use.||No cells. Easily stored for future use|
|Loses activity when stored||Retains activity with proper storage|
|Lower concentration of growth factors||Higher concentration of growth factors|
Advantages of EnPLAF over conventional therapies and PRP Treatment
- Highly Efficacious – Higher concentration of beneficial biological factors from patient’s own blood for faster healing and tissue regeneration
- Autologous – Derived from patient’s own blood, therefore no allergies possible
- Storage stable – Can be stored for future use without losing potency
- Convenient – In a single visit to the doctor we can derive multiple EnPLAF injections which can be given over time for therapy
Various uses of EnPLAF
Enriched Platelet Factors (EnPLAF ) is a vastly promising biologic tool in healing and regenerative medicine. Because of its inherent advantages over PRP Treatment, EnPLAF can be used for a broader number of conditions that already use PRP as a therapy option. These conditions range from orthopedics, podiatry, aesthetics, wound healing, sports medicine, sexual health, dentistry, urology and many more.
We have described in detail individual conditions that can potentially benefit from EnPLAF administration in ‘Conditions Treated’ section of the website.
General protocol for EnPLAF administration
Below is the general protocol on how EnPLAF is derived from the patient.
Additional details for use of specific EnPLAF products in different medical, aesthetic and dental indications is discussed under the ‘Conditions treated’ section of this website.
- Initial assessment is done by the doctor, aesthetician, podiatrist or dentist (depending on the condition to be treated).
- A small amount of blood is drawn at the doctor’s office by well trained staff.
- EnPLAF will be derived from the patient’s blood using our proprietary technique in a state-of-the-art laboratory as the patient waits at the doctor’s office for about 2 hours. EnPLAF is administered by the doctor the same day.
- Alternatively the patient can give their blood at their convenience and come back for the EnPLAF administration at a later appointment with the doctor. This is a major advantage over PRP since EnPLAF can be stored for long without losing activity. Even if the patient misses their appointment, their EnPLAF remains viable for later administration.
- Additionally from a single blood draw, NeoKine can prepare multiple EnPLAF injections (as indicated by the doctor depending on your condition) and then store them for future use. The additional EnPLAF injections will be properly labeled and stored in appropriate conditions by our staff until the patient is ready for injection.
- A patient may need one or more EnPLAF administrations depending on your condition. We do offer packages for multiple EnPLAF injections to be given over weeks, but for most packages you will have to give your blood only once.
- The EnPLAF is administered by the doctor.